I don't know much about LDAP or the nature of connections to it.

If you can find something that looks somewhat like a jdbc driver (at least
fetches data via an sql dialect) you can wrap it up as a jca adapter and
use cmp directly.

Otherwise you will have to write such a thing, use bmp, or write a major
extension of the cmp engine (I did an example, its possible but not easy).

Consider writing a jca adapter if at least some of these hold:

-connections to the LDAP server take significant time to set up and use
significant resources.

-you need to provide security information on the connection

-you need to do work within transactions.

The resource issue is probably the most significant.  If you decide to
write an adapter the jboss jca framework will handle pooling, transactions,
and security for you.

Although there are several pieces and layers of indirection to make them a
little confusing, adapters are not hard to write, and there are several
open source examples to crib from.  The jboss Local jdbc adapter is a
reasonable place to start (connector/src/main/org/jboss/resource/adapter/jdbc/local).
 (I do not recommend the xa adapter as an example). There is also the
Firebird jca-jdbc driver (sourceforge) and Sun has a couple "black box"
samples somewhere.

The jboss jca forum is the best place to discuss jca if you decide to go
that way.

david jencks