I would bet you are not using a single transaction for the access.  The
data that is preloaded is only valid for a single transaction, and if it
is not used it is lost.  I suggest you buy a copy of the JBossCMP
documentation which has a chapter on Optimized Loading.

-dain

Steve Buikhuizen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get read-ahead working with the 3.0 release. Here's what
> my jbosscmp-jdbc.xml looks like.
>
> <jbosscmp-jdbc>
>    <defaults>
>      <datasource>java:/OracleDS</datasource>
>      <datasource-mapping>Oracle8</datasource-mapping>
>     <read-ahead>
>         <strategy>on-load</strategy>
>         <page-size>1000</page-size>
>         <eager-load-group>*</eager-load-group>
>     </read-ahead>
>     <list-cache-max>1000</list-cache-max>
>    </defaults>
>
>    <enterprise-beans>........
>

> However, I still get N+1 queries run the the CMP engine so the
> performance of the first read is very slow.
>
> I'm using Commit option A for these beans, could that be creating the
> problem?
>
> I got this config from the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml file. I've checked
> the CMP docs I purchased for 3.0 CMP
> but they are out of date (I'm also chasing Flashline to get an up to
> date copy)
>
> Can anyone tell me how to make this work? I can't use jboss CMP until I
> solve this problem and I really want to avoid
> BMP.
>
> Also, if anyone can tell me where I might find docs on replacing the
> pluggable load strategy, I'd really like to test this out.
>
> Steve

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dain Sundstrom
Chief Architect JBossCMP