Root.war is very different than ROOT.war.  JBoss wants ROOT.war.

Unfortunately, on Windoze, you cannot rename Root.war to ROOT.war in
Windows Explorer.  Go to a cmd terminal (just to be safe), first rename
it to foobar.war, than to ROOT.war.

You do have two other methods, though.

1) Add a jboss-web.xml in your WEB-INF directory that specifies the
context as /.

2) Instead of #1, put your war in an ear file and use the
application.xml to map your war to /.

David