You need to wrap your code up in a single transaction.  You can use the
  UserTransaction code given at the end of the chapter, or you can put
your code in a Session Bean.

The tx attributes are set in the ejb-jar.xml file.  If you don't declare
tx attributes, the default is Required.  Tx attributes are covered in
the Quick Start Guide transaction chapter.

-dain