I'm working on a project with JBoss which has a few odd requirements I
think would be nice to implement with JMS/MDBs and some JBoss hackery:

Auditing of particular entity bean setters.

It'd be cool if transacted messages (containing bean name, method name,
old value, new value, and Principal) were produced onto a Topic so that
a MDB could pick them up, check if they're interesting (because system
admins will want to shut off auditing of certain beans or setters), and
optionally do what it takes to "audit" (execute a SQL insert into some
audit table, or perhaps ejbCreate an Audit bean).

Problem is the beans are CMP, so I can't simply produce messages by
writing some code on the setters because they're abstract, AFAIK it must
be done through some "interceptor".  The JBossSX SecurityProxy came to
mind, but I don't think it will participate with the transaction context
(it's just an interface afterall), in other words, if the transactions
where these setters are being invoked get rolled back, the auditing will
still occur.

So I've been thinking about setting jboss.xml bean-invoker elements for
these entity beans to my own subclass of JRMPInvoker (that's what they
default to FWICT) that overrides 'invoke', calls 'super.invoke()', and
produces messages...  I've never touched MBeans before, so I'm quite
uncertain that any of this will work, or perhaps there's a better way -
I thought I'd ask the list before I dive into JBoss internals.

There are a couple more EJB-rule-breaking things I'd like to try such as
the message selector equivalent of Dynamic QL, but that comes much
later.

--
Gerald Turner    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Phone: (503) 788-1720
GPG: 0xFA8CD6D5  21D9 B2E8 7FE7 F19E 5F7D  4D0C 3FA0 810F FA8C D6D5