Alex:

Thanks for the pointer to the documentation.  It appears to be what I'm looking for,
but I'm still missing something.  I have a test client to a Stateful bean that is
programmed to exceed the maximum number of Stateful instances I want to allow (2 in my
case for test purposes).  I purposefully exceed this maximum in the test client to
verify that the container passiavtes the Statful beans as required and then
successfully activates them on successive calls.  Unfortunately, I am seeing NO
passivation and am seeing each client above my maximum recieve a new instance despite
the fact that it's the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc...

Here is my jboss.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jboss>
  <enterprise-beans>
    <session>
      <ejb-name>Count</ejb-name>
      <jndi-name>apps/AbilSoft/Count</jndi-name>
      <local-jndi-name>apps/AbilSoft/CountLocal</local-jndi-name>
    </session>
    <configuration-name>Limited Stateful SessionBean</configuration-name>
  </enterprise-beans>

  <!--
  <container-invoker-conf>
    <MaximumSize>2</MaximumSize>
    <strictMaximumSize>true</strictMaximumSize>
  </container-invoker-conf>
  -->

  <container-configurations>
  <container-configuration>
    <container-name>Limited Stateful SessionBean</container-name>
    <call-logging>false</call-logging>
    <container-invoker>org.jboss.proxy.ejb.ProxyFactory</container-invoker>
    <container-interceptors>
        <interceptor>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor</interceptor>

        <!-- CMT -->
        <interceptor transaction =
"Container">org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorCMT</interceptor>
        <interceptor transaction = "Container" metricsEnabled =
"true">org.jboss.ejb.plugins.MetricsInterceptor</interceptor>
        <interceptor transaction =
"Container">org.jboss.ejb.plugins.StatefulSessionInstanceInterceptor</interceptor>

        <!-- BMT -->
        <interceptor transaction =
"Bean">org.jboss.ejb.plugins.StatefulSessionInstanceInterceptor</interceptor>
        <interceptor transaction =
"Bean">org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorBMT</interceptor>
        <interceptor transaction = "Bean" metricsEnabled =
"true">org.jboss.ejb.plugins.MetricsInterceptor</interceptor>

<interceptor>org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnectionInterceptor</interceptor>
        <interceptor>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.SecurityInterceptor</interceptor>
    </container-interceptors>
    <client-interceptors>
        <home>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.proxy.ejb.HomeInterceptor</interceptor>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.proxy.SecurityInterceptor</interceptor>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.proxy.TransactionInterceptor</interceptor>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.invocation.InvokerInterceptor</interceptor>
        </home>
        <bean>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.proxy.ejb.StatefulSessionInterceptor</interceptor>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.proxy.SecurityInterceptor</interceptor>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.proxy.TransactionInterceptor</interceptor>
            <interceptor>org.jboss.invocation.InvokerInterceptor</interceptor>
        </bean>
    </client-interceptors>

<instance-cache>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.StatefulSessionInstanceCache</instance-cache>

<persistence-manager>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.StatefulSessionFilePersistenceManager</persistence-manager>

    <transaction-manager>org.jboss.tm.TxManager</transaction-manager>
    <container-invoker-conf>
        <RMIObjectPort>4444</RMIObjectPort>
        <Optimized>True</Optimized>
    </container-invoker-conf>
    <container-cache-conf>

<cache-policy>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LRUStatefulContextCachePolicy</cache-policy>
        <cache-policy-conf>
            <min-capacity>0</min-capacity>
            <max-capacity>2</max-capacity>
            <remover-period>1800</remover-period>
            <max-bean-life>1800</max-bean-life>
            <overager-period>300</overager-period>
            <max-bean-age>600</max-bean-age>
            <resizer-period>400</resizer-period>
            <max-cache-miss-period>60</max-cache-miss-period>
            <min-cache-miss-period>1</min-cache-miss-period>
            <cache-load-factor>0.75</cache-load-factor>
        </cache-policy-conf>
    </container-cache-conf>
    <container-pool-conf>
        <MaximumSize>2</MaximumSize>
        <strictMaximumSize>true</strictMaximumSize>
    </container-pool-conf>
  </container-configuration>
  </container-configurations>
</jboss>

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks again,

Todd

------------------------------

Hello todd,

this is set up in container-configuration in jboss.xml or
standardjboss.xml. Look at docs on jboss.org.
http://www.jboss.org/online-manual/HTML/ch05s16.html

alex

tac> Hello:

tac> Can anyone point me to an example jboss.xml file that can limit the number of
instances of a stateful session bean to some number (say 3). I'm trying to force
passivation in order to verify that
tac> the conversational state is restored correctly following activation. I'm using
JBOSS 3.0.

tac> Thanks,

tac> Todd