Hi...

I'm quite a newbie to jboss (and j2ee in general), and am having no end of
trouble getting started:

I'm attempting to create a state machine using a number of entity beans:
State, Transition, and ProcessInstance. The ProcessInstance bean
represents an actual instantiation of the state machine. State consists of
some state data, together with a collection of transitions, and transition
consists of a source state, a target state, and a list of validators.
ProcessInstance contains a reference to the current state.

Using xdoclet, I ended up with the jbosscmp-jdbc.xml file shown at the end
of this message (I'm getting an error trying to attach files). When I
attempt to deploy my code with this file, I end up getting a
javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException exception. If I remove the
<relationships> section of the file, the code deploys OK, but then does
not work as desired. I use xdoclet tags similar to the following:

 @ejb:relation name="CurrentState-relation"
                  role-name="current-state"
                  target-role-name="the-state"
                  target-ejb="State"
                  target-multiple="yes"

(I've also tried adding @jboss:relation tags, with no luck)

to indicate that the currentState for a processInstance is a
unidirectional relationship, and that many processInstances could point to
one state. This relation appears in my ProcessInstance file. I have
similar tags to deal with states and processes, with one bidirectional
relation indicating that a transition's source state can hold many
transitions.

As you may be able to tell from this message, I have no idea why none of this is
working. The mistakes (as far as I can tell) could lie in a number of places:
1) I am misunderstanding how to use relationships in CMP
2) I am misusing the xdoclet tags
3) I am misusing jboss.

I'm using postgres 7.2.1 as my backend db, running jboss-3.0.0 (I'm
downloading 3.0.1 as I type), xdoclet 1.1.2, and java 1.4 all under linux.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Nir Oren

The relations extract of my jbosscmp-jdbc.xml file:
  <relationships>
    <ejb-relation>
      <ejb-relation-name>SourceState-Transition-Relation</ejb-relation-name>
      <foreign-key-mapping/>
      <ejb-relationship-role>

<ejb-relationship-role-name>state-has-many-possible-transitions</ejb-relationship-role-name>
          <key-fields/>
      </ejb-relationship-role>
      <ejb-relationship-role>

<ejb-relationship-role-name>state-from-which-we-transition</ejb-relationship-role-name>
          <key-fields/>
      </ejb-relationship-role>
    </ejb-relation>
    <ejb-relation>
      <ejb-relation-name>TargetState-Transition-Relation</ejb-relation-name>
      <foreign-key-mapping/>
      <ejb-relationship-role>
          <ejb-relationship-role-name>target-state</ejb-relationship-role-name>
          <key-fields/>
      </ejb-relationship-role>
      <ejb-relationship-role>

<ejb-relationship-role-name>target-for-transition-state</ejb-relationship-role-name>
          <key-fields/>
      </ejb-relationship-role>
    </ejb-relation>
    <ejb-relation>
      <ejb-relation-name>CurrentState-relation</ejb-relation-name>
      <foreign-key-mapping/>
      <ejb-relationship-role>
          <ejb-relationship-role-name>current-state</ejb-relationship-role-name>
          <key-fields/>
      </ejb-relationship-role>
      <ejb-relationship-role>
          <ejb-relationship-role-name>the-state</ejb-relationship-role-name>
          <key-fields/>
      </ejb-relationship-role>
    </ejb-relation>
  </relationships>