The new stuff would be used when the client is trying to get at the JMX
bus through a firewall. For example ..

Swing Client -> firewall ->  internet -> firewall -> jboss

By default al JNDI/EJB go over RMI on port 4444. In order for the above
to work, the client firewall would have to allow RMI calls to go through
and on the jboss firewall side it would have to forward port 4444
through to jboss.

The new invokers wrap up the RMI call into http. Most firewalls allow
http access and if the client firewall is a proxy firewall it will still
work. On the server side most likely the http port is open to serve web
pages so a servlet receives the response and sends it into the JMX bus.