On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 11:22:24PM -0500, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  > hello all: After reading JAAS chapter of QuickStart and using
>  > DatabaseServerLoginModule for some time, I have two questions:
>  >
>  > 1.I'm a little confused with the concept "roleGroup", I think the
>  > table field can only be "Roles" or "CallerPrinciple" but what is the
>  > use of "CallerPrinciple" ? or I misunderstand something?
>
> JAAS is way more powerful the EJB needs, and the concept of role groups
> is basically ignored by EJB.  EJB only has the concept of roles for a
> users, and JAAS allows for a user to have many groups of many roles.
> Anyway, just always set it to "Roles" and it will work the way you expect.
So what should I do to preserve some more information about the principal. I need to
save both username,personid, and maybe customerid. Do I replace simpleprincipal with a
custom one, or add more principals? Use callerprincipal?

Is there a difference between role and principal?

>  > 2.Now I have only one role "Student" and all ejbs and web resources
>  > permission are set to it. My simple question is: when I need to add
>  > another role "Teacher" and allow all teachers to access those ejbs
>  > and web resources permited to student, of couse some resource can be
>  > access by teacher and not by student, how can I make it in a easy
>  > way? I don't want to change my DDs(ejb-jar.xml...) and don't want to
>  > set every principle in many roles in DB table.
>
> Unfortunately, you will have to modify the dd to change security
> settings.  That is just the way security works.
>

> -dain

MVH
Marius Kotsbak
Boost communications AS