danese,

1- On offering to pay.  Is it the case today that we can actually
certify the EJB container?  When I read the JCP  announcement it didn't
cover the EJB specification but only Servlets/XML. Meaning it didn't
apply to JBoss since JBoss implements the EJB specification. There was
no other way then than to pay for certification.  Are you saying that
the new fund covers free certification of the EJB specification
implementations? A simple yes/no will do.

2- On free and non-for-profit.  I read your example about IBM/Apache.
The example breaks down when you go into "IBM sells Websphere so would
need to pay for TCK".  JBoss Group doesn't sell JBoss, we can't per
LPGL.  JBoss, the software, is owned by all the developers that gave
code (and they have the copyright) and they individually then license
their parts under LGPL. JBoss.org aggregates. There is no central legal
entity. Just a body of code that is FREE and LGPL.  The body of software
is non-profit for anyone to use, for for-profit or not (just like
apache)

3- That JBoss Group is here should be largely irrelevant.  Let's name it
"John Doe Consultants" for the sake of this discussion. John Doe
Consultants offers services on JBoss like other companies.  "John Doe
Consultants" happens to be made of the core developers of JBoss.  "John
Doe Consultants" uses that free base, knows it, sells knowledge, but the
software is free. "John Doe Consultants" is a sponsor of the development
of JBoss, like SUN and IBM are sponsors of Jakarta.

4- License should define access to the fund. I would argue that the
definition of eligibilaty to the fund should not be based on the
existence of a legal non-profit entity but instead on the license alone.
Currently you require a non-profit "shell" when the license should be
enough. LGPL developers can't make a profit of the sales of licenses to
the software yet they don't fit your definition.  However, a non-profit
with closed proprietary software would fit your definition.  Open Source
is defined by OSI licenses not non-profit legal shells.

5- I am a paranoid and recently Mc Nealy went "online" claiming that he
needed to find ways to "arrest the momentum of JBoss".  What is this
talk you give in the press about us "forking" a proprietary version, you
don't remember saying that Danese. I can't imagine your effort is part
of that derailing, please reassure me. You weren't really helping before
at least don't do damage in the future.

marc f