Alan,
Here's my jboss-service.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<server>
        <mbean code="xcom.traxbahn.system.TraxbahnManagement"
                                name="TIPS:service=TraxbahnManager">
                <depends>jboss.jca:service=LocalTxDS,name=TraxbahnDB</depends>
                <depends>jboss.j2ee:service=EJB,jndiName=ejb/CurrencyBc</depends>
                <depends>jboss.j2ee:service=EJB,jndiName=ejb/AccountBc</depends>
                <depends>jboss.j2ee:service=EJB,jndiName=ejb/CardBc</depends>
        </mbean>
</server>

We use oracle and we renamed the data source to our own: TraxbahnDB. It
now seems a terrible name, but a year ago, it seemed quite a good idea :-)

I had a couple of problems with my MBean when it was not packaged inside
my EAR. But these were probably due to bugs in 3.0.0
Currently, I have our SAR inside the EAR. It seems to be tidier this way.
Of course, if you are changing the SAR lots of times, then you should
leave it outside.
Ciao,
Jonathan O'Connor
Ph: +353 1 872 3305