Jim Crossley wrote:
Upon re-reading this, I got confused...

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 15:40, Michael Bartmann wrote:

{
 // Entity bean = home.create(...)
 // bean.setX(...)
this starts a tx1 and locks the instance bean.

Yes, but wouldn't the lock be released as soon as setX returns???
Good point; you got me. :-)
I'm not exactly sure about the semantics at this point; the
incident I refered to in my first comment involved a nested call.
This might depend on the tx markup of the outer method.

Regards,
Michael

 // bean.setY(...)
this suspends the tx1 on bean temporarily,
and starts a tx2, which tries to obtain the lock on the bean,

I wouldn't think tx1 would need suspension as it has already completed,
right?

which it will never get, because tx1 is not commited or rollbacked
yet.

What event would cause the commit or rollback? I was thinking that, for
a trans-attribute of "RequiresNew", tx1 would be committed as soon as
setX returns.

Still confused,
Jim