i have just reaserched about patterns on branches and releases (to define our way of doing this), and one of the most import detail when getting a bug fixed is do it first in the least modified branch (I thing this would be a stable branch , like 3.0) and after that propagate it to other branches until getting it to HEAD.

some stuff about SCM :

- Branching Patterns for Parallel Software Development
http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/acme/branching
- Configuration Management Patterns http://www.bell-labs.com/cgi-user/OrgPatterns/OrgPatterns?ConfigurationManagementPatterns
- Zope Release Policy
http://dev.zope.org/CVS/ZopeReleasePolicy
- High-Level Best Practices in SCM
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/bestpractices.html
- Data Grid CVS policies
http://lindir.ics.muni.cz/dg_public/cederqvist-1.11.1p1.html/cvs.html
- And of course (maybe it should be updated a little):
http://www.jboss.org/developers/guides/cvs-admin.jsp

Scott M Stark wrote:
Its priorities and/or lazy developers. If a fix has not made it into a branch
you need it in create a context diff of the patch for the branch and submit
it to patches section of the jboss project on sourceforge.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Scott Stark
Chief Technology Officer
JBoss Group, LLC