From: Christian Riege [mailto:criege@;riege.com]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 4:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [JBoss-user] CMR Performance: Weblogic7 Much Faster Then
JBoss

Peter,

there are lies, damn lies and benchmarks.

First of all, thanks for the supplied test and sources.

Second, I've run the tests on my machine (1GHz AMD, .5GB RAM, Linux
Kernel 2.4.18, JVM 1.4.0_02). I know that any comparisons to your
systems are probably apples and oranges (you're on a Windows box,
right?), but I'm getting significantly different numbers.

JBoss version is Branch_3_0 as per CVS 15 minutes ago:

[Server] JBoss (MX MicroKernel) [3.0.5RC1 Date:200211081043] Started in
0m:41s:32ms

> 14:31:46,328 INFO  [STDOUT] Initial Retrival, beans may or maynot be in
> cache.
> 14:31:46,375 INFO  [STDOUT]     finder took 47ms.
> 14:31:49,140 INFO  [STDOUT]     External ValueObject creation took 2765ms
> for 1000 objects.
> 14:31:49,859 INFO  [STDOUT]     Internal ValueObject creation took 719ms
for
> 1000 objects.
> 14:31:49,859 INFO  [STDOUT] Secondary Retrival, beans are in cache.
> 14:31:50,125 INFO  [STDOUT]     finder took 266ms.
> 14:31:52,765 INFO  [STDOUT]     External ValueObject creation took 2640ms
> for 1000 objects.
> 14:31:53,437 INFO  [STDOUT]     Internal ValueObject creation took 672ms
for
> 1000 objects.

it's odd but it seems that you are not getting any significant
performance increase on the second run. my logfile states:

creating 1000 Blobs...
Creation complete, took 29046ms.
testing retrival speed...
Initial Retrival, beans may or maynot be in cache.
        finder took 265ms.
        External ValueObject creation took 4859ms for 1000 objects.
        Internal ValueObject creation took 1497ms for 1000 objects.
Secondary Retrival, beans are in cache.
        finder took 1334ms.
        External ValueObject creation took 2994ms for 1000 objects.
        Internal ValueObject creation took 679ms for 1000 objects.

As you can see I have a significant performance increase between the
initial and the secondary retrieval.

Every time I call your Test program again afterwards (w/o restarting
JBoss), I'm getting roughly the figures of the Secondary Retrieval in
both cases which hints that the Entity Beans are retrieved from cache
rather than from the DB.

You _are_ running a vanilla 3.0.4 system w/ no changes to the
configuration files, aren't you?

I'll try to pipe this through OptimizeIt to see where JBoss spends its
time during the test. Unfortunately I don't have the time to get
WebLogic 7 up and running to get a good comparison vs. JBoss.

Best regards,
        Christian

This transmission contains information solely for intended recipient and may
be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protect from disclosure.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all
copies of this transmission.  This message and/or the materials contained
herein are not an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any
securities or other instruments.  The information has been obtained or
derived from sources believed by us to be reliable, but we do not represent
that it is accurate or complete.  Any opinions or estimates contained in
this information constitute our judgment as of this date and are subject to
change without notice.  Any information you share with us will be used in
the operation of our business, and we do not request and do not want any
material, nonpublic information. Absent an express prior written agreement,
we are not agreeing to treat any information confidentially and will use any
and all information and reserve the right to publish or disclose any
information you share with us.