Rodrigo Chandía wrote:
Hi Everyone:

Can Servlets be used to handle protocols other than HTTP?

I have to handle a protocol other than HTTP in a request/response fashion so I thought servlets would be a nice way to do it. I guess that an application server can handle connections, threads and such much better than some server app. I could write. The problem is that everything I see in the documentation refers to HttpServlets (except for some passing references to GenericServlet). But that does not tell me how to parse non-HTTP headers and requests.

If servlets are not appropriate, what would be a good way to handle a protocol different to HTTP from an application server?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
If you have some time to invest, try this on

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jetty-discuss/

(you may have to register first)

I am pretty sure that Greg has people using Jetty for non Http Servlets/protocols....

If you want to use Tomcat, then I'm afraid I can't help you.

Jules