This one time, at band camp, marc fleury said:

mf>HOWEVER THE PROBLEM is that it is slow. The reason is not PHP it is the
mf>way PHP is usually written. Think a pile of JSP/JDBC(straight) with no
mf>caching.  He he, EJB is really a god send and we badly need it on this
mf>application.  Our website used to be at 15% utilization CPU, with this
mf>new application (does the same runtime basically) we are at 100%

Have you tried to implemented the PHP Accelerator
(http://phpa.phorum.org/)? It only takes minutes to install and
configure and the performance gains are impressive.

Bruce