I am using maven for my current project, and I think it is
(conceptually) an ideal system for a multi-faceted project like jboss.
The caveat to my comments is I have only used maven for one project, and
I am only using it for its artifact generation, not for building a
distribution.

I think maven offers jboss 3 possible benefits:
1. The Maven Repository
Jboss should/would have to maintain a repository to contain all of the
3rd party jars required for the maven build (maven's default is located
at http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ and the structure is required). The
payoff is excellent control over which libraries are used. Jars are
referenced in the project.xml based on version and vendor name, so
experimenting with new versions of these 3rd party libs is easy and
non-destructive. Keeping jars in cvs is similar but not as clean (not to
mention a complete waste of cvs resources). Maven keeps a local
repository updated by checking on each build for any new required jars.
The repository would provide a much more maintainable asset than the
current 3rd party lib structure, and allow central control over jboss
libs. Of course, maven's current repository doesn't have nearly all the
jars used in the jboss project, so Jboss would have to either coordinate
with maven/ibiblio or host an alternative repo somewhere. For our
project, I wrote an ant task to copy all the jar files specified in my
eclipse dot-classpath file to the repository and generate a properly
structure dependency list for our project.xml file. A little backwards,
I know...

2. Consistent Set of Project Artifacts
The maven site:generate goal publishes a useful website containing
everything from mailing list lists to cvs changelogs to unit test
reports (which unfortunately use a stylesheet much inferior to the
current jboss tests...). The site is a terrific asset, and would, I
think, fill a hole in the current jboss community.

3. maven has excellent development momentum
Maven is highly extensible, and can easily absorb and re-use
pre-existing ant tasks. The motivation for us to move to maven was the
"free" site generation -- by writing one project.xml, we get a testsuite
report, cvs log reports, source analysis, checkstyle report, todo list
etc. I think the payoff for maintaining a project.xml file will continue
to increase as the build and distribute process is also improved, and as
more tools produce goals.

All that being said, Maven is not quite fully baked yet and I found
myself spending a lot of time "tinkering" with properties files and
environment variables because come behavior was not as expected. Also, I
had to reconfigure my directory structure in order to successfully use
maven -- a small task for our project, but much more involved, I
suspect, for jboss. One problem I encountered was specifying more than
one source directory. Instead of doing so in the project.xml file, you
have to mess with poorly documented properties in a project.properties
file (or one of the other chain of properties files).

If I were in any position to make a recommendation, I would suggest
porting a subproject to maven and testing it out a little.

Hope this is useful,
fawce