User writes "ORDER BY y" and gets something not ordered by y, but rather by
the DISTINCT's selection order on x, which can change from call to call
based on activity on the tab table.  That's what the user will get in the
situation that x's map to multiple y's.

It's may be obvious what the user wanted (an ordered set on y), but not what
the user will get (a random set on x).  Perhaps I've not understood the
concern here, but that seems like pretty "bad" SQL to me.  A user is always
empowered to request misleading data from a database, though.

That's good marketing.