Have you read *any* of the Log4J docs (api or otherwise) or tried using it!?!?

Log4J is very solid and very robust.  It can log not just to file (including
rolling) but to a database, to email, to jms, to syslog, etc.  It can be
configured via xml (preferred) or properties.  Filtering and log levels are easy
to use.  You can use standard formats or define your own.  It can be managed via
JMX.  Logging can be done asyncronously. ... The list goes on and on.

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/index.html

And what do you mean by "lose packets?"  You mean lose a log record?  I've never
seen it happen with Log4J.

As an aside, as much as I love Log4J (and use it in all my apps now) - I don't
use its API directly.  I use Jakarta Commons Logging, which sits on TOP of Log4J
(or JDK1.4 logging, or whatever - it's pluggable).  It works very well, and I
don't lose any of my Log4J features.  It just allows the site administrator to
change the actual logging implementation if he want to.  The code just uses the
interfaces.  Of course, I don't see why anyone would NOT want to use Log4J for
the logging implementation...

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging.html

David