Hunter, I have seen the same problem on my own system since upgrading to
3.0.6 (Win2K, 4-processor P3-1000, JDK 1.4). When I perform a thread dump,
it points to Garbage Collection as the active thread! I also notice that in
the period leading up to the CPU increase, I am experiencing longer and
longer GC cycles.

However, I always have at least 300M free memory on the heap (according to
the JVM) when the problem happens.

My JVM startup parameters are:  -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

Does this sound anything like your situation?

Corby