I am having a desperate problem with my JBoss app server. It seems to be leaking
memory all over the place but after a week of debugging and JProbing I can just not
find the problem. My architecture is session beans that link onto Entity beans that
can have dependant objects. a la Composite entity design pattern, nothing radical. It
seems that when we make a call to the session layer to create an entity with
dependants from data in our oracle db then the server mem jumps 5 meg and never goes
down. Keep going and we crash. We originally started with 2.4.4 but moving up to 3.0.6
did not seem to make a change. We develop on win 2000 but the leak still seems to be
there on our Solaris servers.  We use oracle 8i in our dev environment and 9i on our
servers. I have used JDK 1.3.1 and 1.4. It just seems to point to our code but where I
just can't find. I have been through the code making sure that we close all of our
connections to the database 20 times. nulling references as well.

I got JProbe to analyse the JVM that the app server runs on and it claims that the
level of objects remains the same and the memory they take up is the same giving me
the impression that is all OK. Looking at task manger tells a different story with the
memory zooming up until the OutOfMemory Exception occurs. top on our Solaris servers
shows that the memory never seems to be recovering as well.

If anybody can share a thought on why this is happening please feel free to share this
with me. Even the obvious clue would be great. I have tried everything I know.

David Rocks

Software Development Manager