I agree, though there is a big semantic difference implied in the in-VM vs.
remote case wrt pass by reference semantics.  You may have a bean that works
in-VM but not remote (or vice versa) because there is some assumption made.
Bill, what do you think the right call here is?  The caller could always
assume he's passing by value (remote) but then run into problems if his code
is then optimized in-VM.  I know in JBoss you can control this behavior, but
there's always a concern that the bean writer and the bean deployer aren't
always on the same team (3rd party bean, etc.).  One day the code works, then
someone flips a switch, and it doesn't.  I guess the original idea behind
local vs remote interfaces was to make it more explicit (if you have a local
interface, you pass by reference, remote, you pass by value).

Eric Kaplan