hi,

we are developing application for mutimedia content management. a java client communicates with an JBoss 3.2.2 instance. in about one week we go in production mode. in first phase we habe only one JBoss instance, but we should be able to run our application in an JBoss cluster. and for this reason I have two questions.

1. in or applications we have some modules. i.e. project module. users can create new projects. this project can be changes. a project which should be edited by a user should be locked. for this operation we have this method in our project session bean:

public synchronized boolean lockProject(Long user_id, Long project_id)
  throws ProjectException {
  // ...
}

in this method we are checking in the database if a lock for the given project_id exists or not. if there isn't any lock, the we set one in the database for the given user.

works synchronized methods in an clustered environment?

2. out clients are communicating thru stateless session bean facade. in some important our facades check the ACL's bevor calls other session beans which implements this special business logic. this ACL's is our own implementation. we can have some groups ans some users. each user belongs (defined by valid_from and expired date) to some groups. each group has some ACL's. this informations will be cached in an singelton while first login to the system.

how should caching be implemented in an clustered environment?

Best Regards, Rafal