Surajit,

It looks to me as if the '.'s in your worker names are confusing mod_jk which is using '.' as the divider between the session id and it's tracking information.

you have:

2bsrdkc35sesq.192.168.1.152:8009

pick some simpler worker names like w1,w2,w3, instead of <i/p>:port and report back,

2bsrdkc35sesq.w1 - would be more likely to work...

good luck,

Jules

Surajit Bhattacharjee wrote:

Hi Jules,

Thanks a lot for trying to help me out!

I have gone thru the steps you have mentioned. My findings are summarised
below:

1. My web app is a simple servlet that creates
  a new HTTP session if the request is not
  already associated with one. Additionally, it
  prints out the cookies that accompany the HTTP
  request. I have verified that the servlet does
  create a session with an id that looks like
  <string-id>.xxx where xxx = the worker name.
  An example id: 2bsrdkc35sesq.192.168.1.152:8009

2. The JSESSIONID cookie comes down to the browser
  with value = the session id. Browser (IE 5 and 6)
  is configured to accept cookies.

3. Now, for the next request, the browser sends the
  cookie to Apache, and finally it reaches my servlet,
  but this time, on the OTHER Jetty instance. This
  results in the servlet not finding an HTTP session
  for the request, and in turn creating a fresh session
  (whose id now goes as the cookie value to the client,
  and lands on the other Jetty instance when the next
  request is made). This alternating between the 2 Jetty
  instances keeps happening for all subsequent requests,
  and each time a new session gets created on Jetty.

4. When I switch off one of the Jetty instances (leaving
  Apache with only 1 Jetty to work with), the session
  sticks fine, thus demonstrating that basic HTTP session
  tracking is working end to end without any issues.

5.  Looks like the web app (servlet), Jetty, and Browser
  are all doing their job fine. I am inclined to point
  fingers at MOD_JK2 now - maybe that is the component
  that is not working as expected. It should read the
  JSESSIONID cookie value, and realize that this is a
  'pinned' session, and it only needs to forward it to
  that specific Jetty instance instead of giving it the
  'round robin' treatment intended for new requests.

6. I don't see anything bad in the error/access logs of
  Apache and mod_jk2.

7. I am using mod_jk2-2.0.43.so downloaded from the Apache
  site. I have not built it locally. Should I ? If so, is
  there particular mode I need to build it for (like worker
  MPM or something) ?

8. Do you think you can mail me the mod_jk2 dll (so) that you
  have used. (If it was on Solaris by any chance).

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Best regards,
Surajit