Adrian,
Thanks, that's brilliant. I have patched the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml and
made two changes to the sybase configuration:
I have added the following line to ensure only upto 250:
<read-ahead><page-size>250</page-size></read-ahead>
Sadly this only works if I change the <defaults> and not the sybase
type-mapping. I believe this is an error in the DTD. If you fix this,
please add 250 page-size to the sybase type-mapping.

I have also changed the type-mapping for Sybase to use LONGVARBINARY for
IMAGE data instead of JAVA_OBJECT(? I think):
        <type-mapping>
                        <name>Sybase</name>
                        <!-- and so on -->
         <mapping>