On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:09:32 -0000, Brian McSweeney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for all your help Adrian,

Checked out Scott's mail. Sounds exactly what I'll need. I'll muddle
through it myself till then :-)

One thing about securing the web-console - the forum says you have to
protect the applet aswell. I understand the basics of web app security
using jaas - have used it to secure the jmx console. However, I'm unsure
how to do this for the applet. Any idea how?

IMHO Signed JAR's. As all of the stuff rely on. org.jboss.Main should run under the hood of a java.security.Manager impl.

bax

Thanks very much,

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Adrian
Brock
Sent: 31 October 2003 14:04
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [JBoss-user] Securing JBoss

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 13:48, Brian McSweeney wrote:
Hi Adrian,

I saw that file before, but it isn't used in the default deploy of
jboss
right?

I've spent a good few hours reading the JBoss admin docs, and the
forums
and
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a decent single "how to
manage/secure a default jboss server"

Correct. There was some talk about delivering a "secure" configuration of jboss like all or minimal. It would be completely unusable until you explicity configured the security. It hasn't been done yet.

Is the binding manager a good place to manage all the ports for jboss,
and if so, why isn't this service used by a default jboss?

The binding manager was written to allow two jboss instances to run on the same machine. It isn't enabled by default, because JBoss uses a component view of services rather than a server view (which is what the binding manager is). i.e. you can configure each component in one place without some magic overriding your configuration.

Also, searching on the forums led me to find things like:

http://www.jboss.org/thread.jsp?forum=63&thread=37875

which says the web-console must be secured, but doesn't say how to do
this.

This is just standard web app security, see the jaas howto

I think jboss is brilliant, and advancing so fast, but for a new user setting up a default server, this information is crucial. We've paid
for
the admin docs, but still can't seem to find what and how needs to be
secured.

Scott has started this documentation. See this post to jboss-dev. It is probably too much of a 10,000 ft view and too limited in scope for your current needs. http://www.mail-archive.com/jboss-development%40lists.sourceforge.net/ms g38012.html

Regards,
Adrian

Thanks for all your help,
Brian

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Adrian Brock Sent: 31 October 2003 13:14 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [JBoss-user] Securing JBoss

You can find the list of port bindings in
docs/examples/binding-manager/sample-bindings.xml

Look at the "default" section

I hope you can read xsl :-)

Regards,
Adrian

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 12:11, Brian McSweeney wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following on Sebastian Hauer's email advice I used the following
program
> to find out what ports JBoss uses.
>
> http://www.tucows.com/preview/213738.html
>
> I think the following information might help others too when they
are
> deploying jboss. My application is probably quite like what others
are
> doing. It's very standard in architecture.
>
> Struts --- > Stateless Session Beans --- > CMP EJBs / and MDBs
>
> Basically, a simple web application.
>
> A port scan reveals the following ports are being used by the
default
> folder when my ear is deployed on JBoss 3.2.2.
>
> If people are able to tell me what the few unknown ports are it
would
be