Rod Macpherson schrieb:

Downloaded JRockit and launched a large J2EE application in debug mode. JBoss started in 1:24. Using Sun's JDK 1.4 JVM the same application started in 1:32. I would call that a noise-level improvement given JRockit is a commercial product focused on performance. Not a valid benchmark but then if your compiled code is really all that you would expect to see more than a fraction of 1% improvement. Conclusion: JRockit is not worth the disk space it's sitting on:)

This is your oppinion, a lot of people may have a different one. If you
have a look at
http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2002/results/jAppServer2002.html you can
see that not only Bea Webligic is runing on Jrockit, but also Oracles
Applicationserver.

After all you should know that simply taking the launching-time of an
application isn't a realy good point to measure the speed of a VM. One
thing I found out while testing is that if you rely on File-IO
(especially for debugging and logging) you can do whatever you want. You
will get almost no speedup at all. This was formalized in Amdahl‘s Law
(I think). Since the gap between disk performance and computing
performance is getting bigger each day I think that File-IO will
deffinetliy kill every software tuneup.

I just wanted to state that using the BEA Jrockit VM boosted my
benchmark for about 35% and let me run the tests for at least 100%
longer than the requirement of 30minutes for official results, simply
because jboss didn't die because of bad VM housekeeping. Of course the I
never measured the startup time. And if I turn on logging I only got
about 30% of the performance I had without logging.

Chris