-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Neal Sanche
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 11:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [JBoss-user] JSP precompilation

On December 13, 2003 07:48 am, Kavitha Ranga wrote:
> Hello,
>   I am using JBOSS and tomcat for EJB and
> webapps. In order to speed up the JSP's I have
> precompiled all the JSP's using ant and have dumped
> all the .java and .class for each of the jsp under
> the tomcat directory of jboss ie, tomcat-4.1.x/work/
> MainEngine/localhost/MyApp/
>
> However it appears that the first time the JSP's are called, JBOSS
> again compiles
> them and the precompilation does not seem to have any effect.
> Is there something more to it than just dumping the .java and
> .class files into the
> tomcat directory of JBOSS?
> Any help is appreciated.

Yes, there is more to it than that. You have to remove the .JSP files
from your application, or don't deploy them. Next you have to set up
servlet and servlet-mapping statements for each .JSP in your web.xml.
The JSP compiler can be made to output these mappings into a file.
Then you have to put the compiled JSPs into your application's
classpath. Usually this is WEB-INF/classes/...

For an example of all of this download
http://www.nsdev.org/jboss/stories/nsdev-framework-1.1.zip and look
at the build/webapps/build.xml at the do-precompile-jsp target. Then
look at the precompile-jar target where you will see that I am
excluding "**/*.jsp" when I'm building the .WAR file.

Cheers.

-Neal