My post was about performance comparison of the same OS on different hardware platforms (Solaris X86 on Compaq and Solaris SPARC on V100). Solaris stability (not to be confused with the availability) is equal on both platforms, availability of course is better with midrange (or better) on SPARC, however availability of V100 and Compaq might be very similar.

PS: Sorry about off topic reply but this information might be of interest to some of you.

p.

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Clover, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: [JBoss-user] performance on Solaris/SPARC Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:57:24 -0800

Yeah, I've seen this too.  But under load, I've seen the Solaris to be
more stable.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Ondruska [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 5:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [JBoss-user] performance on Solaris/SPARC

Intel Pentium 4 based server may outperform SPARC processor based server in some (or most) uniprocessor configurations.

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Madere, Colin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [JBoss-user] performance on Solaris/SPARC Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:41:57 -0600

Sanity check.

Would it surprise anyone out there that knows a thing a two about JBoss
(or J2EE in general) that a bottom of the line hardware Compaq with a
2GHz P4 in it would perform 3-4 times faster in a simple CMP/EJB test
than a Sun v100?

P4
--
Win2K
2GHz

v100
----
Sol9
400MHz?
1-2GB RAM
SCSI

Just starting up JBoss in default or all config also shows it takes 3-4
times to start up on the v100 as under the P4.