It sounds like the 'apachesoap:DataHandler' might not be mapped correctly. I achieve
this using the following in the Axis WSDD file:

<service name="myservice" provider="java:RPC"
xmlns:ns1="http://www.blah.com/myservice";>
  <parameter name="wsdlTargetNamespace" value="http://www.blah.com/myservice"/>
  <parameter name="className" value="com.blah.MyService"/>
  <parameter name="allowedMethods" value="submitFile"/>
  <operation name="submitFile" qname="submitFile" returnQName="result"
returnType="xsd:string">
    <parameter name="someParam" type="xsd:string"/>
    <parameter name="dh" type="ns1:DataHandler"/>
  </operation>
  <typeMapping
deserializer="org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.JAFDataHandlerDeserializerFactory"
        languageSpecificType="java:javax.activation.DataHandler"
        qname="ns1:DataHandler"
        serializer="org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.JAFDataHandlerSerializerFactory"
        encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"/>
</service>

Note how the ns1:DataHandler parameter type is mapped to
JAFDataHandlerSerializerFactory / JAFDataHandlerDeserializerFactory, and that ns1 is
defined as a valid namespace on the service element.