I agree that it isn't perfect.  Its just everyone is so busy with other
things right now.  How about giving us a hand with that stuff.  I have some
ideas that might work (using mail services of course!
http://jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=MailServicesForJBoss)

We might even be able to enable "postback" relatively easily.  Not sure how
this will integrate with sourceforge, but we might be able to do something
relatively seamless.

Let me know if you're interested in pitching in.

-Andy