anonymous wrote : With no disrespect to JBoss as a product, this idea of charging $10
for the docs is appalling marketing.

I don't quite understand what you mean by it is appaling marketing, if they want to
charge for a service that they provide what is wrong with that.

anonymous wrote : There is a whole mind-set behind the idea of open-source software.

But you are unwilling to give anything back, how would you like to see the
documentation improved?

anonymous wrote : Anyway it's all been gone over before.

In what way has it all been gone over before?

anonymous wrote : Just don't forget that as a developer I can always get weblogic for
90 days or websphere for 60 or whatever, and not have to pay a thing, and have the
online docs available.

You may be able to get Weblogic and Websphere for free for a limited time, but what
about the end user that will be running the app that you have developed?

anonymous wrote : How much revenue does it generate? 1000 a month? 5000 a month? It
would have to at least 1,500 a month to make it worth it - that way it would support a
developer and be worth the

Why do they need to justify how much they make to you?  And what puts you in the
position to consider it a lame concept?  The JBoss group are obviously happy that
selling the documentation works.

anonymous wrote : intangible cost of alienating developers who see it as a lame
concept.

Again, anything to back this comment up?

anonymous wrote : Look at mysql - that's the way to do it. You get developers adding
to the docs as well all the time, so as you rewrite them, you have the comments from
them about exactly where you need to improve it.

Yes I agree the documentation for MySQL is excelent, however there are legal issues
when using the MySQL database commercially without purchasing a licence as that is the
way that they have decided to fund their development.

<a
href="http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3826553#3826553";>View
the original post</a>

<a