anonymous wrote : Apparently it should be hidden behind a session bean, but I guess
that's just a bit tra-la-la for now.

No the session bean is the most important part of this pattern, it is the stateless
session bean that caches a reserved range of integers.

anonymous wrote : I hope you know what I mean - just a relatively simple entity bean
that grabs blocks of 10 or 100 or 1000 integers from a primary key database table, and
has a method returning the next key, refreshing the block if it runs out.

No the entity bean does not grab a block of integers, the entity bean just holds a
record of the highest integer reserved by one of the session bean instances.

The stateless session bean holds the integer range that it has reserved using member
variables, when the end of the range is reached the session bean makes use of the
entity to reserve a new range.

<a
href="http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3827576#3827576";>View
the original post</a>