"bela" wrote :

  | 10Mpbs ? You're going to get 1MB/sec throughput max.
  |
  | If you run only on the local box, set UDP.bind_addr to 127.0.0.1, to circumvent
the NIC entirely. Also add a multicast route that actually points to your loopback
device.
  | I suggest you take the NIC down for the duration of the tests to make sure you
don't send anything via the 10Mbps link.

  | Also, I suggest to set UDP.loopback=true.

Ok - I ran the same tests on some faster machines using a gigabit ethernet.  Tests
were run on a dual 64-bit AMD Opteron machine running Suse Linux with JDK 1.4.2.  The
numbers increased a lot but you can see the numbers still degrade with each additional
subscriber.  Here are the numbers I got:

Text messages (10000 sent)
-1300 msg/sec with 1 pub - 1 sub
- 915 msg/sec with 1 pub - 2 sub
- 780 msg/sec with 1 pub - 3 sub

Object messages (10000 sent)
- 410 msg/sec with 1 pub - 1 sub
- 306 msg/sec with 1 pub - 2 sub
- 243 msg/sec with 1 pub - 3 sub

So yes the object messages still need to be optimized perhaps with better techniques
but even if they were optimized I would start out with a higher rate than 410 msg/sec
but it would still decrease with each subscriber and that's the main limitation right
now.  I can try some tcpdumps or use ethereal to try and see what's going on
network-wise.

"Bela" wrote :
  | Here's another one: you may want to adjust the compression level in COMPRESS (9 =
best).
  | Bela

Tried that - it didn't make much difference.  I did notice a bug however when I put
the compression to 0.  Here's that output when that's the compression value:

ERROR 10:57:43,691 [Connection Management Thread] (GroupConnection.java:194) -
Dispatching failed
     [java] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.io.StreamCorruptedException
     [java]     at org.jgroups.Message.getObject(Message.java:218)
     [java]     at sljms.GroupConnection.dispatch(GroupConnection.java:239)
     [java]     at sljms.GroupConnection.run(GroupConnection.java:188)
     [java]     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

<a
href="http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3827637#3827637";>View
the original post</a>