I don't know what it is that is causing log4j to wrap the stacktraces from tomcat,
presumably it's something in the tomcat - jboss integration. I'd love to know - anyone
from JBoss?

Anyway the solution is to adjust the log4j configuration. It means taking the
appenders off the root category and putting them individually on the subcategories,
including 2 categories called STDOUT and STDERR.

I defined a basic layout pattern for STDOUT and STDERR so that there is no extraneous
output attached to each statement.

You have to take the console appender off the root category though, which is a bit of
a pain, so that STDOUT and STDERR don't print twice.

Creating an "org" category and a "tomcat.localhost" category is a suitable way of
assigning an appender to all other categories.

<a
href="http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3827828#3827828";>View
the original post</a>

<a