It may be helpful to post your mssql-ds.xml file, but without seeing it, my guess is
that you need to add an ExceptionSorter and a check-valid-sql tag to your
mssql-ds.xml.  Something like this:

  <local-tx-datasource>

    <jndi-name>someDataSource</jndi-name>

    <connection-url>
      jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://someUrl:1433;DatabaseName=someDb;SelectMethod=cursor
    </connection-url>

    <driver-class>
      com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver
    </driver-class>

    <user-name>someUser</user-name>

    somePass

    <exception-sorter-class-name>
      com.yourpkg.SqlServerExceptionSorter
    </exception-sorter-class-name>

    <min-pool-size>10</min-pool-size>

    <max-pool-size>20</max-pool-size>

    <valid-connection-sql>
       select count(*) from SomeConnectionTest
    </valid-connection-sql>

  </local-tx-datasource>

The sql used should be very fast.  In my example SomeConnectionTest is a one column
table with only one row.  Also, you will have to develop an ExceptionSorter, but there
are several examples in the docs directory.  Essentially, try this:

public class SqlServerExceptionSorter implements ExceptionSorter, Serializable
{
   public SqlServerExceptionSorter()
   {
   } // SqlServerExceptionSorter constructor

  public boolean isExceptionFatal(SQLException e)
  {
    return true;
  }
} // SqlServerExceptionSorter

...if you want all Exceptions thrown by the JDBC driver to force the Connection to be
removed from the connection pool.
Finally, a search for ExceptionSorter and valid-connection-sql on this forum will
result in a lot of answers to this situation that may have more helpful info.

Hope this all helps,
-MLA

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3828562#3828562