Hi there,

Good news: I have authenticated webservice clients (in addition through HTTPS) with
JBoss in production for several months.
The integration of axis into jboss consists of some classes that propagate BASIC HTTP
authentication information (username/password)
to the EJB layer. You only have to secure your webservices via BASIC auth method and a
security realm (axis has a web.xml and
jboss-web.xml somewhere under deploy/jboss-net) and find a way in your client to set
the HTTP BASIC authentication headers.
If you find Basic auth too unsecure, use it through HTTPS.

Good luck,
S. Pohl