hbaxmann:

anonymous wrote : solution: build a db view per optional field, null-'key' rows will
vanish, not the denormalized table

This isn't a relational issue.  The query I mentioned with 4 columns ironically has no
relationships whatsoever.  However, it does have 4 optional columns I need to filter
on.  They happen to be parts of a business key, but that's arbitrary.  They could be
any optional column that I need to filter on.  Remember, this issue is I'm passing a
parameter and pulling values that match that paramter.  This isn't complext, and has
nothing to do with normalization because it has nothing to do with joins or
relationships.

anonymous wrote : if your app rely on more then one _significant_ optional field -
your ER model sucks

Huh?!?  More than half a table's columns are often optional.  Any column can be
filtered via a parameterized where clause in the real world.  These are common
business requirements.  Just because a customer table does require an email address
doesn't mean the user shouldn't be able to query based on the email address.  Just
because an email address is optional doesn't mean that every other piece of customer
information has to be mandatory.  How is having multiple optional columns a bad model?

anonymous wrote : And your query, even implemented in SQL, is 100% compatible with all
the databases because SQL address the database compatibility before java and J2EE.

Wouldn't that be nice if it were true.  To name a few differences:  the formatting of
a date in the where clause, unique identifier generators and the syntax of outter
joins.  I wrote one system that ran in both SQL Server and Oracle.  Last year, I lead
the migration of a J2EE application to use a new DB2 data model with 150+ tables while
still working 100% with its Oracle 90+ table predecessor.  To complicate things, we
had to use stored procedures for all data communication for DB2 (dumb "security"
standard .)  The calculation code, which never stopped being fully functional during
the entire migration, was 100% independent of the database vendor, but it it wasn't
SQL that made it possible.  We used a Data Accessor pattern.

There are two two problems with SQL:  The ANSI 89 and 92 standards that became popular
did not address all the needs (e.g., dates in the WHERE clause).  The second problem
is that it is relational, making it difficult to migrate to object database
technologies.  Thus...  CMP, and the current trend of using object-relational to
implement it.

If Sun's Java certification has anything that requires CMP to use a relational
database, then they are not testing the standard, because nothing in the standard
requires a relational database for implementation.  If they relational database
requirements have drifted into it, then it's probably just because every vendor out
there implemented it with a relational model.  Thus, when vendors start to implement
it with object databases as well, Sun will be obligated to remove any relational
specific requirements that slipped into their test suite.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3836352#3836352

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3836352