Yes, we definitely need to change the port number.

The question is, is there a way to pick a fixed port number that will basically never
have conflicts.

I'm running on a Windows 2000 system. We had been using port 1099 for JNDI, but it
seems that sometimes, some other process has grabbed that port. As I understand it, a
port numbered over 1023 can be grabbed by basically any process. And such ports are
typically chosen dynamically to create socket connections for other protocols like
HTTP.

1099 is pretty close to 1023, and I believe these dynamically-assigned ports are
generally chosen in increasing numerical order. So if I pick a much higher port
number, like 11099, it's very unlikely to be used either for a dynamically-assigned
port, or as the "well known port" for some other protocol. Just as 8080 works well as
an alternate port for HTTP.

So is this solution the standard one? Is it reliable? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3836868#3836868

Reply to the post :