OK, part of my problem seems to be that JBoss sends, to the client, a URL like

http://hostname:8083/

and in the log, this appears as:

Using RMI Server codebase: http://hostname:8083

It seems to be happening during the JNDI handshaking process (presumably JBoss is
telling the client where to go for RMI calls)

Why this is a problem is that "hostname" is not in DNS (and, for my case, cannot ever
be).  Furthermore, the machine in question must be named "hostname" (don't ask).

I am not sure where it gets this from, so I created a SystemPropertiesService MBean in
jboss-service.xml (xml below) to set the property jboss.bind.address to be my ip
address.

This did not have any effect on the RMI Server codebase, nor my problem.  The change
DID have an effect, as anywhere in the logfile that '0.0.0.0' showed up, my ip address
now shows up; just not for the RMI Server codebase (or what is getting sent to the
client).  I figure as long as JBoss is sending over an invalid hostname (invalid to
the client that is), then all bets are off regarding my problem.  The linux vs.
windows things is coincidental, because our linux boxes have the servername in
question in their /etc/hosts, whereas windows boxes do not.

So, how can I control the hostname that the RMI server codebase uses without modifying
the network configuration of my machine?

XML:

  |     <mbean code="org.jboss.varia.property.SystemPropertiesService"
  |        name="jboss.util:type=Service,name=SystemProperties">
  |        <attribute name="Properties">
  |            jboss.bind.address=156.9.155.141
  |        </attribute>
  |     </mbean>