hi,
I have taken a brief look at your design. Based on what you have written seems to take
off, but you can consider some other choices also such as xml based communication over
http or https between your internal systems and external systems.  then you will also
get away with messaging system. XML will interface with almost all the languages when
compared to interfacing a system written in a different language.

with respect to your second question, it depends what benefits u are getting from
architectural point of view or from companies point of view. If the system is time and
money crtical, then the best trait is to go with simple solution and then refactoring
it and make it whatever u want.  But an exchange platform can be a viable solution for
long term as otherwise, you will have to write some interfacing components for all the
servers interacting with each other. then in that case exchange platform solution is
really a good one.

you can use message queue server as your main hub to forward the request even though
your message type is xml based ( I guess ) and it can be on any servers or can have a
dedicated server if the load is too high. I guess u will be using store and forward
messaging type in that. Message queue again has it own benefits. In terms of using no.
of queues,  you design is good i.e. messaging and event mechanism is a two way street,
one outgoing and the other incoming, but again that breeeds asynch type of
communication and you should be aware of all the facts abt it.

Overall, think about using xml (web services ) over http and https. In my view it can
solve most of your problems.

-Rajesh

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3837596#3837596