John;

The wrapper will not change your application code. You are simply adding a new
DataSource. So if your old DataSource was DsA, then you could rename it DsB and call
your wrapper DsA.

Current
Application -------> DsA (DataSource)

Possible
Application -------> DsA (Wrapper) --------> DsB (DataSource)

As far as being able to selectively implement the tracing call, that would require a
more sophisticated interceptor structure, I suppose. I am not sure that there is an
efficient way to determine the exact method or class a request came from (without
modifying the application code), except possibly to build a stack trace (by contriving
an exception or something) and back-walking the stack elements. I am not sure how
efficient that would by, but some nifty grepping might get you the runtime information
you need to figure out if the tracing should be enabled or not.

You may also want to consider using P6. It is a wrapper around JDBC drivers that will
give you a detailed log of all the SQL executed against a DataSource. It is
independent of app server and persistence architecture (and its free.....).

Here is some sample output I found in our logs:

  | 00:09:41,967 INFO  [TP-Processor8] [p6spy] - 1073797781967|0|3454|statement||
Select <Some Secret SQL Here>

You can download p6Spy at http://www.p6spy.com/.

Good luck.

//Nicholas