That's an interesting question.  According to
the developers of ObjectWeb ASM, ASM is
10 times faster than BCEL and around 10%
faster than Javassist.   I forgot the exact
numbers, but BCEL seems very slow because
of their old-fashioned internal architecture.
ASM is a very small light-weight library for
modifying bytecode; it does not provide
source-level abstraction that Javassist does.

However, the argument above does not mention
the compilation by Javassist since the other
libraries do not provide a compiler.  In fact, the
benchmark by ASM people is a very much toy.
I don't have any numbers with respect to the
compilation speed by Javassist, but I think the
overhead is not as big as you expect.  But yes,
I need some experiments for further discussion
on this topic.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3841091#3841091

Reply to the post :