I tried your suggestion and it looks like we're making progress.  The server.log now
gives the below error.  The exact web.xml is also listed below.  Do you know why this
URL pattern would be invalid?

2004-08-03 15:48:25,488 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig] Parse error
in application web.xml
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid <url-pattern> test in servlet mapping

web.xml:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
   "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
   "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>
<web-app>
<display-name>HR</display-name>
HR Misc Apps

        <servlet-name>TestingServlet</servlet-name>
        <display-name>Test Servlet</display-name>
        Test Servlet
        <servlet-class>TestingServlet</servlet-class>

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>TestingServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>test</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

View the original post :