Hi,

I am using (My)Eclipse, XDoclet and MySQL for developing my EJBs.

I have an entity bean whose corresponding table requires to be created in the
database. All my compiles and deployment goes through fine - but MySQL throws an error
complaining the max column size for a VARCHAR field is 256.

My jbosscmp-jdbc.xml shows correct details :

  |       <entity>
  |          <ejb-name>Composer</ejb-name>
  |
  |          <cmp-field>
  |             <field-name>composerName</field-name>
  |             <column-name>composerName</column-name>
  |
  |             <jdbc-type>VARCHAR</jdbc-type>
  |             <sql-type>varchar(50)</sql-type>
  |
  |         </cmp-field>
  |          <cmp-field>
  |             <field-name>genre</field-name>
  |             <column-name>genre</column-name>
  |
  |             <jdbc-type>VARCHAR</jdbc-type>
  |             <sql-type>varchar(60)</sql-type>
  |
  |         </cmp-field>
  |
  | <!-- jboss 3.2 features -->
  | <!-- optimistic locking does not express the exclusions needed -->
  |       </entity>

The errror thrown is :

  | :36:19,596 WARN  [ServiceController] Problem starting service
jboss.j2ee:jndiName=Composer,service=EJB
  | MBeanException: org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: Error while creating
table Composer; - nested throwable: (java.sql.SQLException: Syntax error or access
violation message from server: "Too big column length for column 'composerName' (max =
255). Use BLOB instead")

  | Cause: org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: Error while creating table
Composer; - nested throwable: (java.sql.SQLException: Syntax error or access violation
message from server: "Too big column length for column 'composerName' (max = 255). Use
BLOB instead")

>From the JBoss log :

  | 2004-08-26 15:36:19,507 DEBUG
[org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCStartCommand.Composer] Executing SQL: CREATE TABLE
Composer (composerName VARCHAR(256), definitiveFilm VARCHAR(256), CONSTRAINT
pk_Composer PRIMARY KEY ())

Why is it trying to create a table with column size varchar(256) when it has been
specified to be much lower ?

I attempted a number of XDoclet tag changes and manipulations but none worked. Any
inputs on this ?

Thanks

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3846274#3846274