I have a client who has recently (successfully) marketed a "county-based" application
to many counties in a state, and now must solve the problem of scaling the the system
to meet the new demands.  There isn't enough time to rearchitect the application (to
include a "county layer") prior to initial go-live, and buying new hardware for each
instance of jboss / application is also not an option.  The existing instances of the
application run on jboss 3.0.7 in production.

I have four questions (plus one request).

1. Is it possible, reasonable and safe to run separate instances of the same
application in different "instances" of jboss as described in this thread (jboss0,
jboss1)?  I "made it work" but can and should are so very different.

2. How many instances of an application might reasonably be deployed in this manner?
(The ear for this dude is circa 35 megs.)

3. What variables / measures should be used to determine the threshold for a
particular server? (How do I know when enough is too much?)

4. Do you have or know of any documentation about this topic outside of this wiki
(which is Wunderbar! keine Frage!)?  Simple is good.

Plus, if anyone has experience in this area, please let me know how many application
instances and what version of jboss you used.

Thanks,
-pointerweb

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3850817#3850817