I **guess** this feature is provided to faciliate the creation of NamingContext in
clustering scenarios. Looks like HA JNDI is used as the JNDI provider in clusters and
hence, even if you do not provide PROVIDER_URL value, it will try to obtain a
NamingContext, if it could find any server in the cluster. So, I again **guess** that
this would be useful in a server instance to server instance call, but not from a
client app to server instance call.

Can someone validate my understanding?

Thanks,
Kalyan.