First I want to say that the for Pay documentation (the entire suite) is
freakin awesome and many of the posts I see in the forums could easily be
answered by ponying up the dough for the entire documentation suite.

In one day I was able to get a pretty good understanding of JBoss clustering
and how it would impact my current components. Although our for pay docs were
on 3.2 they applied to 4.0 rather well.

Although the Pay docs regarding clustering were pretty sparse on technical
(i.e. Code type stuff, Especially JMS) I found the forums and wiki filled the
slack quite well. Between the three I was able to port our entire
Infrastructure (about 15 entity beans, 30 Stateless Session beans, and 10 JMX
services) from a JBoss 3.2.3 Standalone configuration to JBoss 4.0 Utilizing
clustering (by myself) in only two weeks. Not only is it ported but it all
ACTUALLY WORKS!

The beauty is 99% of the changes were simple additions to the deployment
descriptors (Excellent documentation for ejbs and entities)  Although you may
want to add a comment about the entities Requiring Remote interfaces in order
to be cluster aware... That threw me and the error message was very vague. The
forums saved me on that one.
Other changes were updating our ant scripts to drop various wars and  jars into
the appropriate clustering directories. We also hade a few Lookups in our
service locators change slightly for HA. The biggest change was needing to
deploy one of our services as an HA Singleton since it does alot of local
caching. The Wiki and the forums saved my life.
the author of this post:
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=55794
did an awesome job with his HASingleton how-to. I'd recommend posting his
message verbatim on your wiki.

The best part is our Client code (which uses remote ejb calls and JMS) is
oblivious to the fact that we are clustering at all! ZERO client side code
changes were necessary!!!!!! (We just had to change ip and port information in
our .properties file).

In short I think the JBoss team has done a fan-freakin-tastic job at
implementing clustering.

(see why I'm called DashV? VERBOSE).

I do have one question I haven't been able to find the answer to...

Is there a way in code (like say a JMX Service MBean) to figure out what
partition the code is deployed into... Our infrastructure (which is build on
top of JBoss) is required to register with an external monitoring service. And
as it is currently implemented the monitoring service thinks every seperate
JBoss instance is a different peice of infrastructure (We have an MBean service
that generates a Unique id that is registered with the monitor.) I'd like to be
able to give it the unique ID that we already generate and also the partition
name so that we can enhance the monitoring component to be able to distinguish
that other JBoss instances in fact represent the same infrastructure when they
belong to the same Partition. Would there be any problems with grabbing the
Partition name in my existing MBean service and using it in this way? Certainly
the container for the MBean must know which partition the MBean belongs to...

Thanks in advance and thanks for all you've done already!

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3855726#3855726

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3855726