I did try -XX:+UseParNewGC, -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC, and -XX:+UseParallelGC,
the first two both by themselves and together. -XX:+UseParNewGC shaved maybe 5
seconds off the test run time. -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC actually made my test
about 10 seconds slower, and -XX:+UseParNewGC didn't make much difference.

My sense was that some of those were aimed at multiprocessor systems with
larger numbers of processors than the 2 in each of my machines. I'd easily
believe that if I had 4 or 8 or 16 CPUs, I'd see a lot more benefit.

I will check out those profilers. Thanks for answering my newbie questions --
poking and prodding the JVM is something I've never had a need to learn much
about until now.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3857987#3857987

Reply to the post :