I noticed this new MBean in the ejb-deployer.xml (whe compared to v4.0.0):

  |   <mbean code="org.jboss.ejb.txtimer.DatabasePersistencePolicy"
name="jboss.ejb:service=EJBTimerService,persistencePolicy=database">
  |     <depends
optional-attribute-name="DataSource">jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=DefaultDS</depends>
  |     <attribute
name="DatabasePersistencePlugin">org.jboss.ejb.txtimer.GeneralPurposeDatabasePersistencePlugin</attribute>
  |   </mbean>

This causes the following (metadata) exception with my database (Apache Derby)

  | 12:43:34,140 INFO  [WrapperDataSourceService] Bound connection factory for
resource adapter for ConnectionManager
'jboss.jca:name=DefaultDS,service=DataSourceBinding to JNDI name
'java:DefaultDS'
  | 12:43:34,171 ERROR [DatabasePersistencePolicy] Starting failed
jboss.ejb:persistencePolicy=database,service=EJBTimerService
  | java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot find datasource meta data:
jboss.jdbc:datasource=DefaultDS,service=metadata
  |     at
org.jboss.ejb.txtimer.GeneralPurposeDatabasePersistencePlugin.init(GeneralPurposeDatabasePersistencePlugin.java:81)
  |     at
org.jboss.ejb.txtimer.DatabasePersistencePolicy.startService(DatabasePersistencePolicy.java:87)
  |     at
org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalStart(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:272)
  |     at
org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.start(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:173)
  |     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
  |     at
  |     at
  |     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
  |     at
org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:144)
  |     at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
  |     at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:72)
  |     at
org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:249)
  |     at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:642)
  |     at
org.jboss.system.ServiceController$ServiceProxy.invoke(ServiceController.java:908)
  |     at $Proxy0.start(Unknown Source)
  |     at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:416)
  |     at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:438)
  |     at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:438)
  |     at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:438)
  |     at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:438)
  |     at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor5.invoke(Unknown Source)
  |     at
  |     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
  |     at
org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:144)
  |     at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
  |     at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:72)

Is this because of the way in which the Metadata is being sought:

  | (org.jboss.ejb.txtimer.GeneralPurposeDatabasePersistencePlugin.java)
  |       // Get the DataSource meta data
  |       String dsName = dataSourceName.getKeyProperty("name");
  |       metaDataName = ObjectNameFactory.create("jboss.jdbc:datasource=" +
dsName + ",service=metadata");
  |       if (this.server.isRegistered(metaDataName) == false)
  |          throw new IllegalStateException("Cannot find datasource meta data:
" + metaDataName);

I could register this as a bug with Derby if this is the standard method for
getting metadata from a datasource?

(the derby bug reporting url is
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10594)

For the moment I am commenting this MBean out and the rest works ok.

Cheers
-raj

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3858862#3858862